Last updated - September 11, 2023
Customizing the layout of a page on your WordPress site was not always easy for those who are not familiar with CSS or HTML. However, WordPress Website Builders have made the process quite easy for everyone with their drag and drop interface and varied content elements. A little bit of imagination and a grip on your site’s functionality in alignment to user experience is all you need. The rest will be managed by these plugins, which have become essential tools for WordPress web design. We have compiled a list of some of the most popular WordPress website builders in this article. Let’s look into the specific details that make these plugins really popular.
The essential features of WordPress Website Builders
One of the primary features that you look for in WordPress Website Builders is the ease of use. Let’s take a quick look at the essentials:
- Ease of use – Even users with no coding knowledge should be able to work with it effortlessly. How intuitive is it?
- Availability of elements – The depth of options where multiple elements are available for customization.
- Drag and Drop feature – It gives the ability to rearrange elements to reach a preferred layout. This feature is especially important for those who are not experienced with coding.
- Preview options – Good preview options give you the scope to instantly see and improvise your site layout.
Top WordPress Website Builders
Here is a list of top WordPress website builders that stand out based on popularity, value for money, intuitiveness, etc.
One of the major reasons for the popularity of Elementor is its speed. The plugin offers instant responses when you edit and load pages. This makes it particularly easy to work with this plugin. Even beginners can get a hang of the working of this plugin in quick time. On the live editing screen, you can view the changes that you make instantly on the right, there is no need to go to a preview mode. This helps save a lot of time when you try different design concepts with this plugin. It also offers easy undo /redo options, and presents full revision history, which you can use if needed.
The plugin is loaded with features like Hover Effects, Animations, Background Overlays, etc., that make your site design really unique. There are numerous blocks and templates that will help with your site design. You can simply load a pre-designed template, and make the required modifications. Or, you can combine blocks at your own will to create a unique design pattern. Once you customize a template on your own, you can save it to use it later. You can even export a template that you create to another site as well. Also, you can easily switch to maintenance mode, if your site has to go down for a while.
- Popular page builder plugin with a lot of added features such as the visual form builder and custom fonts.
- It also helps you with marketing automation and CRM integration such as MailChimp.
- Features like image sliders, animated headlines and global widgets help add more visual appeal to your site.
- Helps you create responsive pages suitable for mobile screens.
- Another important feature that you can make use of is the blank canvas option, which will be helpful to create landing pages for different campaigns without header and footer.
The single site license of this plugin is available for purchase at $49. You will also find a 3-site license for $99, and for unlimited sites at $199.
This is a free responsive page builder that you can use to create websites that reflect your site’s unique character. The plugin makes your site responsive, as all your visitors get the same high quality visual experience irrespective of screen size. It makes the design process of your site’s front end an especially hassle free process. As with the case of other plugins discussed in this article, SiteOrigin page builder too offers a simple drag and drop interface. The pages created using this plugin are assuredly lightweight and hence optimized for better search ranking for your site.
- Simple page builder with a user-friendly interface.
- Integrates effortlessly with any theme, which provides you better control to handle content in a scenario where you change the theme that you were using.
- Provides immense flexibility to work with existing WordPress widgets, and in addition, it provides more widget options to explore better possibilities.
- Options for live preview and revision history. This allows you to try out different styles at a fast pace, and easily switch between styles.
If you are a fan of Divi theme, you might really like this page builder plugin. Apparently, it has taken all the good things of Divi theme to help you with site design. It offers numerous layout possibilities, which you can try on any theme of your choice. Divi Builder offers around 45 modules, which you can easily drag and drop, and rearrange according to your ideas. Some 15 demos give you a great start with your design process. You can simply customize them to get your own unique design.
- Easy to use and allows customization of pretty much everything according to your liking.
- Though built to minimize coding efforts, Divi offers scope for custom coding for those who are comfortable with HTML and CSS.
- You can selectively enable and disable front end elements, which helps a lot when you are frequently posting short term elements on your site. For example, a banner image for a seasonal sale on an eCommerce site can be disabled and reused later.
- With Divi Builder, you will get access to a large number of elements in the Divi Library. You can add your custom designs too to the library and reuse it when needed.
- Can export saved elements and import them to another site project that you are working on.
- Flexible tool for beginners as well as seasoned web designers.
You need to get a Divi membership to get access to all the plugins and themes. The yearly access for Divi plugins and themes would cost you $89. There is also a lifetime plan, which costs $249.
Among WordPress page builder plugins, this one offers great control to the user. The simple drag and drop interface allows users of all knowledge levels to easily customize your web pages. It will help you streamline your workflow and make your site design an effortless process. Beaver Builder gives you the flexibility to work with the large number of available templates. You can simply choose one of the templates and replace the images and content to have your own unique site design.
- Powerful and popular page builder that offers complete control over your site design.
- Helps you create responsive WordPress sites really fast.
- Easily switch themes, without losing all your content.
- It offers live editing features and offers support to WooCommerce, WPML and a lot of other popular WordPress tools.
You can purchase the Standard version of this plugin for $99. There is also a Pro version and an Agency version at $199 and $399 respectively.
Spectra is a drag and drop page builder that integrates into the WordPress block editor. It uses the same design, same menus and same methodology, making it seamless to use with WordPress.
Spectra adds dozens of creative blocks, patterns, wireframes and over 100 templates you can install and use in seconds. Just like these other WordPress page builders, there’s no need to know code or touch CSS. Everything is accessed via menus and drag and drop. It couldn’t be easier to build amazing websites.
Spectra uses clean code, has no dependencies and has been designed to be as fast as possible, without the load time penalties of other page builders.
- Fully featured drag and drop page builder
- Free and premium versions available
- Clean code with no performance penalties
- Lots of blocks and resources
- Pro-quality templates and wireframes
WPBakery page builder is one of the most popular options that will help you create and manage a WordPress site intuitively. It offers a drag and drop builder that will enable you to create beautiful pages even without any coding knowledge. WPBakery offers a range of content elements that lets you create unique pages and layouts effortlessly. Moreover, you can access the huge template library, and also make developer-level changes with the API.
- Intuitive page builder plugin that offers you great control over your site design.
- Allows you to edit from the frontend as well as backend.
- Over 50 content elements and access to a template library.
- Advanced grid builder with predefined styles.
For use in a single site, you can get the Regular license of WPBakery at $45, and for use in SaaS-based applications, the Extended license for $245 can be purchased.
This is a powerful page builder option that you can use with any theme. Themify builder offers more than 40 pre-designed layouts to make your job easier. You can simply replace the content of these layouts to create your own design. It offers a drag and drop interface that makes it particularly easy for non-coders to manage their site design. You can even go to a front end edit mode, where you can instantly view how your site design would look like to visitors. It also allows you to copy paste modules that you worked on to different pages, reducing the workload. You can also duplicate or import one module to another site.
- Powerful builder that allows easy experimenting with different layout options.
- Reusable layout parts are another notable feature of this plugin. When you update a layout part, it will get updated on all locations where you have used the same layout part.
- Over 60 built-in animations give a certain vibrancy to sites built with Themify Page builder.
- Ensures your site is responsive.
- SEO friendly and ready for translation to multiple languages.
- Integrates seamlessly with eCommerce platforms like WooCommerce and marketing automation options like MailChimp.
If you are purchasing any of the Themify themes, you will find this page builder integrated with them. However, if you want the page builder separately, you can purchase that separately too. You will get it at $39, and if you are looking for a bundle with all the add-ons, you can get it at $59. There is also a lite version which you can download for free.
Visual Composer is a comprehensive website builder that you can use to build a professional site with control over every single aspect of your site design. It offers a complete toolkit with page builder, templates, blocks, elements and extensions. Additionally, the drag and drop editor makes everything easy, without the need for any coding efforts at all. Different types of users, such as store owners, designers, marketers, theme authors, etc., can use this popular website builder to create a site according to their requirements.
- Comprehensive website builder with drag and drop functionality.
- Wide range of templates to help you get started easily.
- Abundant collection of content elements and extensive design options.
- Responsive and SEO friendly.
Visual Composer offers different pricing options according to your requirements. You can start with the free version, and get a premium version starting from $49 per year for a single website.
Oxygen Builder is a powerful option that offers you a visual editing interface to build every aspect of your website. It offers a drag and drop editor, and has global color options that lets you modify colors from one place. In addition, it helps you create custom headers for your website and manage dynamic content with loops and repeaters. Also, the plugin is developer friendly, SEO-ready, and helps you build WooCommerce stores easily too.
- Powerful website builder with visual editor.
- Allows to create custom headers.
- Features include global colors, flexible builders, superior load time, etc.
- Lifetime support and updates.
You can get the basic license of Oxygen Builder at $99 and the WooCommerce-supported one at $149 one-time payment. There is also a 60-day money back guarantee.
Brizy offers an easy option to help you create amazing WordPress sites really fast. It has an innovative editor that provides you with a wholesome editing experience with visual clarity. With a solid foundation of cutting edge technology and an amazing feature set, it will let you create superior websites. You will get access to a collection of pre-made pages, blocks and pop ups to get started without hassles. In addition, the builder lets you incorporate animations, shadows and video backgrounds to your design table.
- Innovative website builder with a range of advanced features.
- Global styling options and advanced content tools for fast editing.
- Wide range of pre-designed templates.
- Custom fields integration for WordPress.
You can get a Personal License for 3 sites at a cost of $49 per year. You will get a complimentary access to Brizy Cloud Studio with all their pricing plans. There is also a 30-day money back guarantee.
This is a free option among WordPress Website Builders that will let you create unique page designs for your site without any coding efforts. You can either build a new site design from scratch, or can use one of their themes to get started easily. Additionally, you can choose premium extensions for different requirements such as integration of contact forms or eCommerce. The plugin offers all the staple design features such as drag and drop editor, live editing, multiple content elements, etc.
- Frontend page builder with over 30 modules for varied styling options.
- Powerful and responsive option, with a drag and drop interface.
- Easily integrates with WooCommerce, and offers premium extensions to choose according to requirements.
- Can be of great assistance to different sets of users such as business owners, marketers, SEO experts, etc.
The basic builder is available for free download. However, you can get the premium version with all add-ons starting from a cost of $49 for one year. There is also a money back guarantee for 30 days.
Comparing Page Builders
Now that we’ve seen a number of popular WordPress page builders, how do you decide which one of these is best for you?
The answer is not straightforward, because each of these products has strong points and also some weak points. The best way to decide is to run a trial with each of the products, so that you can get a feel of each one of them and decide for yourself.
Let’s just take a quick example comparing Elementor vs Beaver Builder. Beaver Builder has been around for a much longer time than Elementor, but the latter has a far larger team around and has enjoyed explosive growth in the four years that it has been around.
Having said that, Beaver Builder is favored by users who have a background in web development, while Elementor is more suited towards web designers or users who don’t use WordPress on a daily basis.
You can read about the differences in more detail in this article from CollectiveRay.
Advantages of using WordPress page builder plugins
Page builder plugins are popular because they offer certain obvious advantages to website owners. Here is a quick look at some of them
Great scope for customization
Designing a web page from scratch requires great coding knowledge. And there are quite a large number of WordPress site owners who have minimal or no coding knowledge at all. Mostly such store owners rely on their WordPress theme to provide a design suitable to their website. However, there are several limitations when you talk about adapting a theme as it is. There are chances that your site looks like a lot of other sites. How will you manage to give that unique appeal to your site?
This is where WordPress page builder plugins come into the picture. People with all levels of coding knowledge can customize their sites according to their creative interests and imagination. These classes of plugins offer a lot of flexibility for everyone to experiment with the design and layout of websites. And, if you are not in the mood to design from scratch, you can always make use of the pre-designed templates that come with these plugins.
Ease of use
Most of the page builder plugins available in the market offer a simple user interface. This helps everyone to design pages of their imagination in a matter of minutes. The drag and drop interface and instant preview features that we saw in most of these plugins are really useful. It actually helps people who are not experts in coding to try their hands on designing their own sites. Overall, it makes web page design an easy and fulfilling process.
Page builders help you manage a lot of functionalities on your store. Without them you probably would’ve had to install multiple plugins to get a lot of front end customizations. With the help of a page builder, you can effectively set up unique features on your website. You can set up several features on the site like animations, image carousels, interesting call to action buttons, etc., with the help of these
A responsive design is an essential feature of any website. All the page builder plugins we discussed in this article are responsive, when you are combining them with a responsive theme.
WordPress page builder plugins help a lot in customizing your website to your unique thoughts. It is an essential requirement to make your site reflect your ideas and not like any other run-of-the-mill website. Interestingly, most page builder plugins offer a simple user interface that can be used by everyone from experts to beginners. Moreover, they offer a lot of functionalities, which otherwise would have been possible only with multiple plugins. Hope you have found out some of the best WordPress Page Builder plugins from this article.