Last updated - February 13, 2024
Are you a content maker looking to establish your career? If yes, then you might want to consider YouTube Shorts.
Did you know that YouTube is the world’s second most-viewed website, with 1 billion+ hours of video views? It lets creators quickly create and distribute short videos with a global viewership.
After TikTok, a short video-sharing platform, went viral, YouTube tried the same, and this is how YouTube Shorts was born. Statista says that YouTube is the largest online video hosting platform globally, with over 2 billion monthly logged-in users. So, given YouTube’s massive user base and influence, YouTube Shorts will likely attract more creators and watchers.
In this blog, let’s try to understand the importance of short-form YouTube videos, explore “how much money can you make on YouTube”, and uncover the potential earnings that await you.
What are YouTube Shorts?
YouTube Shorts is a special element on YouTube that allows individuals to make and watch small videos. It’s similar to a mini version of the application where you can make truly captivating videos for the crowd.
Now, you might be wondering how long can a YouTube short be.
The best part of Shorts is that they are designed for shorter attention spans. You can make funny or informative shorts for over 60 seconds or less once you know how to make shorts on YouTube. Whether using the YouTube mobile app or uploading your own vertical videos, Shorts lets you captivate viewers with your talent and spark.
An Overview of YouTube Shorts Fund
YouTube Funds is a special program that helps video creators leverage the platform. Over 500 hours of video content are uploaded to YouTube every minute. This showcases the immense proliferation of content creators on the platform.
YouTube Funds is a way for YouTube to support those creators and help them make even better videos. When someone joins the YouTube Funds program, they can receive money to help them buy better equipment, like cameras or microphones.
But How Do They Get the Money?
Well, YouTube earns money by putting unskippable ads in their videos. Some of that cash goes to the creators of the YouTube Funds program. It’s a way for YouTube to say, “Hey, we really like your videos, and we want to help you make even more of them.”
Hence, when you watch videos on YouTube, you might see some ads before or during the video. Those ads help support the creators and ensure they can keep making cool videos for you to enjoy. And thanks to programs like YouTube Funds, creators can have some extra help to make their videos even better and bring more joy to their viewers like you!
YouTube Shorts Monetization
Prepare to unlock the potential of YouTube short videos and turn your passion into profit! While not everyone is eligible for monetization right away, YouTube offers revenue-sharing opportunities for Shorts creators who meet certain criteria. This means your talent and dedication can be rewarded with a slice of the revenue pie.
Monetization Eligibility for YouTube Shorts
We have your answer to “How much money do you make per view on YouTube.” Well, to set sail on your monetization adventure with YouTube Shorts, you’ll need to meet a few requirements:
- Ensure your channel adheres to all YouTube Partner Program policies
- Resides in an eligible country or region where Shorts monetization is available
- Garners at least 1,000 subscribers on your channel
- Accumulates a minimum of 4,000 valid public watch hours in the last 12 months
- Connects your channel to an AdSense account for seamless payments
Furthermore, to successfully start your monetization journey with YouTube Shorts, you must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Create Unique and Original Shorts: Let your creativity shine by producing original content that sets you apart.
- Respect YouTube’s Community Guidelines: Foster a safe and inclusive environment by ensuring your Shorts align with YouTube’s content policies.
- Navigate Copyright Regulations: Avoid copyright infringements by obtaining the necessary permissions or creating content that is entirely your own.
- Understand Monetization Policies: Familiarize yourself with YouTube’s monetization policies to ensure your Shorts comply with the platform’s guidelines.
Ad Formats Eligible for Shorts Revenue Sharing
YouTube Shorts monetization supports various ad formats that can appear within your Shorts, adding an extra sprinkle of monetization magic. These formats are designed to blend seamlessly with your captivating content. As ads are displayed, YouTube generously shares a portion of the revenue with eligible creators.
Regarding YouTube shorts monetization rules 2023, advertising takes center stage. Through the Shorts revenue-sharing program, you can earn revenue from the following ad formats:
Pre-roll Ads: These captivating ads appear before your Shorts, allowing you to earn revenue based on impressions and clicks.
Mid-roll Ads: Seize the opportunity to monetize your Shorts even further with ads that appear during your content.
How Does Ad Revenue Sharing Work?
Curious about when will YouTube shorts be monetized? Here’s a glimpse into the magic: as ads are integrated into your Shorts, YouTube graciously splits the generated revenue with you.
While the exact revenue split may vary, creators usually receive a substantial portion of the earnings. As reported by parent company Alphabet Inc.’s financial statements, YouTube generated over $19.77 billion in advertising revenues.
Your share of the pie depends on factors like the number of views, engagement levels, and the ad formats displayed within your Shorts.
How to Start Earning Revenue With YouTube Shorts
It’s time to unlock the treasure chest of revenue and embark on your journey to earn through YouTube Shorts. Follow these steps to set sail:
- Ensure your channel meets the eligibility requirements we discussed earlier.
- Infuse your Shorts creatively and engage your audience with unique and engaging content.
- Consistency is key! Regularly produce high-quality Shorts to keep your viewers coming back for more.
- Spread the word! Promote your Shorts on social media platforms and collaborate with fellow creators to expand your reach.
- Once you meet the eligibility criteria, dive into the world of monetization by enabling the necessary settings in your YouTube Studio.
- Let your imagination run wild and create Shorts that captivate your audience’s attention.
- Increase the visibility of your Shorts by incorporating relevant keywords and eye-catching thumbnails.
- Engage and Connect: Foster a thriving community around your Shorts by responding to comments, encouraging interaction, and building a loyal audience.
- Review YouTube’s policies and guidelines to ensure your Shorts comply with the platform’s requirements.
How Much Money Will You Earn from Shorts?
Now, the question on every creator’s mind: How much money can you make on YouTube?
Well, the truth is the potential earnings can vary significantly. Factors like the number of views, audience engagement, and the ad formats displayed within your Shorts all play a role. While it’s challenging to predict exact figures, some creators have reported substantial revenue from their Shorts.
To maximize your earnings, keep creating engaging content, grow your subscriber base, and optimize your Shorts for maximum impact. Remember, the possibilities are endless, and your dedication and creativity can take you to new heights of success.
On a Parting Note
YouTube is available in over 100 countries and supports over 80 languages. This lets people from all around the globe access and enjoy its content. These captivating short-form videos are limited to 60 seconds in duration.
With this technique, they offer a refreshing way to consume and share content.
With their vertical format and mobile-friendly interface, Shorts have swiftly captured the hearts of viewers and creators alike. You can unlock the door to a world of revenue and endless possibilities through your creativity and adherence to eligibility requirements.
But remember, YouTube Shorts is just one avenue for monetizing your content. Don’t be afraid to explore alternative streams like brand partnerships, merchandise sales, or even setting up a web page.
So, start making your YouTube Shorts, unleash your creativity, and let the journey to monetization and creative fulfillment begin!