Creating a duplicate version of a WordPress page could help you manage content more effectively at times. When you have to make modifications to a live WordPress page, how will you manage it without affecting the user experience? You can create a copy of the page, make necessary modifications, and then update the live page easily. In this article, we will discuss how you can duplicate a WordPress page easily.
Duplicating WordPress posts and pages are essentially the same process. We already have published an article describing how you can duplicate a WordPress post. Since some of our readers have expressed their wish to see a demonstration with pages, we are creating one specifically for duplicating a WordPress page. Here we will discuss how you can manually duplicate a WordPress page, as well as how you can use a plugin to achieve it.
Why do you need to duplicate a WordPress page?
Sometimes, you want to make edits to an existing WordPress page. You may not want to make changes to the live page. In that case, you will be able to duplicate the page and make the edits without affecting the live page. Then, you can replace the old page with the edited one easily and quickly.
This can be effective when you want to reuse an old page on your site. You can duplicate the old page, make modifications to it and publish the new post.
How to duplicate a WordPress page?
Now, you might be wondering why you can’t simply copy and paste the content to another page. That will help you copy only the content. The featured image, SEO settings, post settings, etc., won’t be copied when you copy the content. Moreover, when you want to duplicate multiple WordPress pages at the same time, this could be too much manual effort. However, you will find plugins that will help you duplicate a WordPress page easily. And, some plugins let you duplicate multiple pages as well. We will demonstrate how you can duplicate a WordPress page using a plugin.
Copy just the content part
First, we will see how you can copy the content directly from an existing page.
In the Gutenberg editor, you can go to the ‘More tools and options’ settings and click ‘Copy all content’ option. Now the entire content will be copied.
You can now add a new WordPress page, and paste the content to it. In this manner, you will see all the content is copied from the old page including images.
And, if you are using the classic editor, you can copy the entire html code from a page, and paste it into a new page.
As you can see, the featured image and other settings won’t be copied. That means you will have to apply these settings again manually.
This is where plugins come to play. We will demonstrate how you can easily duplicate a WordPress page using a popular plugin.
How to duplicate a WordPress page with the help of Duplicate Page plugin?
Duplicate Page is a popular plugin that will help you easily duplicate a WordPress page, post or custom page. You can manage to duplicate a WordPress page in a single click and can save the page as draft, pending, private or publish. The plugin offers several additional features to help you manage your content effortlessly.
- Allow only specific user roles to access the plugin.
- Filter is available to determine whether to show the option to duplicate pages in post types.
- Choose where to show the clone link.
- Choose which status to be assigned to a duplicate post.
- Redirect when clicked on a clone link.
- Add prefix and suffix to posts.
- Change the duplicate post link title.
Now, let’s see how you can duplicate a page using this plugin.
Setting up the plugin
Install and activate the plugin just like you would for any other WordPress plugin.
Once you install the plugin, you can go to the settings page. Here you will see four options, which you need to set up:
- Choose Editor – You can choose the preferred editor for your pages – Gutenberg or Classic. (Please note, you will need the Classic Editor plugin to be able to use the classic WordPress editor in the latest versions of WordPress)
- Duplicate Post Status – Here you will find options to choose the default status of the duplicate post. You can choose from Draft, Publish, Private or Pending.
- Redirect to after click on the ‘Duplicate This’ link – After activating this plugin, your posts lists will have a link ‘Duplicate this’. The option you choose here will determine where you will be redirected to after clicking this link. You can choose All Pages list or the edit page of the newly duplicated page.
- Duplicate post suffix – This option will let you add a suffix to the page or post title that you duplicate. This will help you distinguish the duplicated version easily from the original.
Duplicating the page
Once you have configured everything according to your requirements, you can Duplicate the page. Go to the page you want to duplicate, hover the cursor around it, and you will find the option ‘Duplicate This’. Click this option and you will see the page duplicated with all its settings.
Once you click the option, you can see the page a duplicate is created and added to the list. If you have specified a suffix to be added to the page title, you can easily identify it as well.
Other plugins that will help you duplicate a WordPress page
You will find a few other plugins too that will help you duplicate a WordPress page easily. Here is a look at some of them and their features.
This is another popular option to duplicate WordPress pages and posts. You will be able to duplicate post of any type and make modifications to it. The plugin creates a ‘Clone’ option below the page or post title, which you can click to duplicate it. You can also choose clone option from the Bulk actions menu and duplicate more than one posts or pages at a time. The plugin also offers several customization options where you can restrict the usage of this plugin only to certain user roles or post types only.
- Clone posts and pages on your WordPress site.
- Duplicate posts and pages in bulk.
- Option to open the duplicated post or page as a new draft.
- Option to clone posts and pages from the front-end using the template tag.
- Restrict clone option only to specific user roles or post types.
You can create an exact duplicate of a WordPress post or page using this plugin. The plugin supports custom post types, fields and taxonomies as well. It has simple settings and you can easily duplicate a post or page with it. Please note, this plugin will not pass comments to the duplicated post.
- Easily duplicate WordPress page or post.
- Include custom post types, taxonomies and fields to duplicate.
- Simple settings.
- Option to change the timestamp on a post.
This plugin will help you duplicate posts, pages and custom post types easily on your WordPress site. It has minimal options but can execute the process really quickly.
- Duplicate WordPress pages, posts and custom post types.
- Choose which editor you want to use.
- Add a suffix to the title of the newly created copy.
- Customize the link text to duplicate a post or page.
- Choose how to redirect after clicking the link for duplication.
- Select the status of the copied post or page.
For simply duplicating the content, you can copy and paste directly from the editor. However, if you want to duplicate multiple pages together, or you want to copy the settings of the page as well, you need to use a plugin. Hopefully, this article has helped you understand how to duplicate a WordPress page in both scenarios. Leave us a comment if you have a query.
Check out the video here: